L-R: Nick Mecikalski (Artistic Associate), Alex Lubischer (Playwright-in-Residence), Miranda Haymon (Artistic Development Associate), and Lucy Powis. Photo by Keelyn Oxley.
From August, 2017-May, 2018, Lucy worked as the Artistic Apprentice for Roundabout Theatre Company. There, she did writing and research work for dramaturgical info sessions, UPSTAGE (educational) guides, in-venue displays, and program notes. Additionally, she managed the script submission database and wrote reports on plays read and seen. Ask her about the time she ordered taxidermy from China.
Her writing for the UPSTAGE guides can also be found online:
- "The Objectification of Women in the Media" (for Skintight by Joshua Harmon) - Page 10
- "Variations on the Truth: The Art of Solo Performance" (for John Lithgow: Stories By Heart) - Page 17
- "Representing Disabilities on Stage: The Breakthrough Plays" (for Amy and the
Orphans by Lindsey Ferrentino) - Page 16
- "Tristan Tzara and Dada" and "Lenin and the Russian Revolution" (for Travesties by Tom Stoppard) - Pages 10 and 12
- "Corn Detasseling" (for Bobbie Clearly by Alex Lubischer) - Page 11
L-R: Christopher Livingston, Michael Braugher, Ray Anthony Thomas, Portia, James Anthony Tyler, and Lucy Powis. Photo by Sarah Sutton.
From May to August, 2018, Lucy worked as the Literary Assistant for Williamstown Theatre Festival. There, she produced and moderated talkbacks and other panels, administered the L. Arnold Weissberger Award by managing script reader applications, writing coverage, and pitching scripts to the Artistic Director, conducted and edited interviews for programs, and produced readings, workshops, and artist residencies.
Some of the panels she moderated were streamed on Facebook live:
- Talkback for The Closet by Douglas Carter Beane, directed by Mark Brokaw
- Talkback for Artney Jackson by James Anthony Tyler, directed by Laura Savia
- Talkback for Seared by Theresa Rebeck, directed by Moritz von Stuelpnagel
- Talkback for Dangerous House by Jen Silverman, directed by Saheem Ali
- Interview with Jen Silverman about her work on Dangerous House and beyond
Photo by Malloree Hill.
Additionally, Lucy currently reads scripts for Williamstown Theatre Festival, Theatre for a New Audience, and Pipeline Theatre. She has also read scripts for the Bay Area Playwrights Festival and Kitchen Dog Theater.
As associate producer for Between the Threads, she moderated a talkback with members of the creative team and Tatiana Kai-Browne (co-creator of The Jewish Renaissance Boxing Club -- Vienna), as well as curating another with Hannah Temkin (community education coordinator for IfNotNow NYC).
In summer 2016, she facilitated Then They Write, Then They Fight's writing group, where she led writing exercises and feedback sessions for a group of Toronto writers at various stages of their career.
She did further curatorial work with Then They Fight as their company dramaturg, detailed here.
Further writing samples available on request.